Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Loring AFB UFO Incident - October 1975 Another Person Speaks Out

Message: Loring AFB Incident - October 1975

To write this, I have to erase from my mind information I have learned over the years about this and go back to that month.

From what I can remember, that month started a month before during Labor Day weekend. It took me awhile to realize that these two events happened within a short time of each other. I am quite sure that my memory is right about this, and if not, I apologize.

Labor Day weekend, a family was camping at Baxter State Park, which is in the northern part of Maine. They were at a campground with other campers there. They had a son about four or five years old.

He liked to ride his tricycle around the campground. The neighboring campers watched the child, as did his parents. Within minutes, he disappeared. They found his tricycle by the dump and immediately started a search for him. Nothing.

They searched and searched, not even a piece of cloth. The Navy's infrared planes searched, dogs, flyers were sent all over the United States and Canada. Nothing.

From what I can remember, the Yankee magazine had an article about the disappearance of this child in 1980, the fifth year since his disappearance. This occupied our minds during September.

My ex-husband was stationed at Loring AFB and debriefed flight crews. Sometime around the first of October I went out to Base Ops to buy a soda or something. This was during the evening and the other stores were closed.

We were living on the base, and it was getting dark as I was driving home. I noticed that every fourth to fifth street was out. Since this was during the "gas crunch," I thought the base was being conservative.

Sometime within that week or maybe the start of the next week, my ex mentioned something about something "buzzing" the airstrip. Over the next couple of weeks, the situation escalated. Rumors were flying, the Bangor Daily News published articles about "lights" over Loring AFB.

Somehow I heard that it was a "helicopter" with no identifying marks on it, flying at night with no lights, and the pilot refused to answer the radio. It may have been in the Bangor Daily News that the "helicopter" was chased into Canada.

Panic was starting to spread through the base. Women were starting to pack and leave. I don't know if any of them did leave. Loring AFB was very secluded, hidden in a forest of pine trees. Couldn't even be seen from the highway that goes from Caribou to Limestone.

During that time, my thoughts were that we could be wiped off the face of the earth and no one would know that we were gone. I thought it was Russia. Loring was a dew line base, first strike.

Russia had their missiles aimed at us over the North Pole, as we had our missiles aimed at Russia over the North Pole. As the situation got worse, my thoughts were, "Why don't they force it down, shoot it down, do something!"

October 31, Halloween. Over the years I have read and heard differences about the date. I remember Halloween that year very well. The base was locked down. We had to close all of the blinds, no lights on, the base was darkened, no one was allowed to enter or exit the base.

A TV station out of Bangor decided to give us a Halloween treat by showing War of the Worlds, The Betty and Barney Hill Story, and another one I can't or don't want to remember. I heard the planes that night. The first time I can remember hearing the planes.

And that is all I can remember of the Loring AFB incident. It just went away.

After over 30 years, this still haunts me. How much danger were we in? In my innocence or whatever, at the time I didn't even realize that there were armed nuclear weapons stored on that base.

Where was our government? Not even the base commander tried to soothe our fears. I would really appreciate either an explanation or an apology for the hell that we went through in October 1975.

Additional Information:

Another Thought on Loring AFB

From about September 1976 until May 1977, I worked at an off base NCO club as a *****tail waitress. The installation was a radar site north of Limestone, Maine.

I worked Friday and Saturday nights. The bar was open to the military, civilians and Canadians. I believe it was sometime during January or February 1977, a man came into the bar wearing a suit, which was out of place for that type of bar.

He was very obvious. The bartender nudged me and whispered, "OSI."

What was going on during the mid-70's?

Thank you to the person for the well written report.

If anyone has witnessed the object, please send me an email with details of what you saw. Please remember to include the date and time and location. (Town/City – State or Province) and as much detail as possible.

Vike Factor Note: I do receive sighting reports from everywhere in the world, and I post all of the reports I receive here:

Brian Vike.
Box 1091
Houston, British Columbia, Canada.

Email: or

The Vike Factor -  Houston, British Columbia Centre For UFO Research. Canadian UFO Investigator Brian Vike.

No comments: